There is so much to celebrate at this time of year. Great work is happening in the classrooms, during concerts, and on the sports fields.
One of our great traditions and celebrations this time of year is the 7th Grade Car Wash. The students raise money in the weeks before the wash and spend a Saturday morning washing hundreds of cars.
This year, the students raised over $10,000! This money is being used to support students and projects at Grace Community Christian School in the Philippines, aide one of our ZCS families with the expenses related to cancer treatment, and give to a microfinance program in Burundi.
Many of you were part of giving to this or taking your cars to be washed. Thank you for supporting this project!
Great job, 7th grade, with letting the love of Christ shine through you with this amazing project!
Head of School
The Bell - *NEW*
Summer 2019 - Bonus Digital-Only Issue
Thank You! The faculty and staff would like to thank the Hospitality Committee for the amazing treats and special attention! Having something fun to look forward to each day during Teacher Appreciation Week was such a gift. Thank you specifically to: Mary Van Dam, Alicia Zandstra, Andrea Driesenga, Betsy Oosterhous, Kelli Meyer, Stacey DeVries, Meg Kiekintveld, and Mitzi Berens.
- The Board heard updates from the Facilities Capital Campaign, MISSION: POSSIBLE! Look for more information in June about how you can become involved.
- Finances are tracking well to budget for being 85% through the fiscal year.
- The Board had discussions and updates on the ways ZCS and Holland Christian leadership continue to work together on curriculum, teacher professional development and financial opportunities. We continue to foster a positive and strong relationship between the schools.
- The Education Committee has worked with the Leadership Team Staff and approved a new science curriculum.
- The Board thanked 3 outgoing members for their years of service on the ZCS School Board: Chad Geenen, Tricia Miller, and Lori Slenk
Retirement Celebration: Join us Thursday, May 30 for a Retirement Open House to celebrate John Buteyn, Mary Ellen Van Dyk, and Vicki Bouman from 4-6pm in the Media Center. Light refreshments will be served.
ZCS Zip Photos: www.zcs.org/zcszip
Lost and Found: Elementary lost and found items will be on tables near the main entrance starting on Tuesday, May 28. Middle School lost and found items will be on tables in the middle school commons. On June 7 ALL remaining items will be donated.
Destination Imagination: We are pleased to announce that one of our Destination Imagination teams will be representing Zeeland Christian at this week's Global Finals tournament in Kansas City, MO. The team members are Autumn Bouws, Meredith Cook, Evie Elenbaas, Noah Feak, Aiden Kehrwecker, Audrey Kehrwecker, and Kaitrin Miedema. Their parent coaches are Brooke Cook and Jen Feak. They have been working hard to get ready for this international event, and we wish them the Lord's blessing in their travels and in their presentations. We are so proud of you!
Parent Points: If you would like to keep your current Parent Points assignment for the 2019-2020 school year please email Jennifer Schafer (firstname.lastname@example.org)this week. This is to KEEP your current spot only. There will be a link to sign up for new spots sent out in the next two weeks.
Expand(ED): Registration for this summer's Expand(ED) programs is now available. You can find out what is being offered and register on this website. Camps being offered this summer include: Destination Imagination, Mandarin, Spanish, art, fairy gardens, theater, coding, basketball, soccer, volleyball, golf, tutoring, math, and leveled-library check out.
Summer Skills Sharpener: This is a summer skills workbook that some parents have chosen to purchase in the past. This is optional and completely up to you. Feel free to browse the website and order directly from them if you wish.
ZCS Cleaning Jobs: ZCS Do you want to help keep ZCS a clean and inviting environment for our kids here? Do you want to help support our mission to Love God, Love Kids, and Love Learning? We are looking to fill multiple cleaning positions for next school year and would love to talk to you. Positions available include classroom cleaning and vacuuming as well as office cleaning and vacuuming. The schedule is flexible and pay is negotiable based on experience. Interested candidates can apply via email to email@example.com.
May 27: Memorial Day *NO SCHOOL*
May 30: Retirement Celebration 4-6 PM Media Center
June 3: Family Group Games
June 4: 8th Grade Banquet
June 5: NO AM Middle School Busing. NO PM Elementary Busing
June 6: LAST DAY OF SCHOOL. NO AM Middle School Busing. NO PM Elementary Busing
ZCS Google Calendar: Stay up to date by subscribing to the ZCS Google Calendar!
Drop Off/Parking: Please be aware of the marked drop off spots in the front of the school during drop off and pick up. These spots are for drop off only. These are NO Parking zones. LINK to parking/drop off
- New to TRIP: Vee's Grill online and on Instant TRIP. $10 certificates at 9%.
- If you have a TRIP order to pick up you may pick it in the school office during normal office hours.
- If you are having TRIP sent home with an elementary student, please update your profile to show the classroom teacher of your child. https://shop.shopwithscrip.com/Account/Profile
- Instant TRIP Fridays 11:00-1:00 in the main office. If the school is not in session/snow day on Friday, there is no Instant TRIP.
- The Summer TRIP dates are June 11 & 25, July 9 & 23 and August 6 & 20.
- All online orders are due by 11:00 on the above dates.
- They will be available on the next TRIP Tuesday. TRIP will be available for pick up any time the school office is open(Remember if you pay with PrestoPay that the money is deducted from your account the day you place your order)
- There will be TRIP on June 4 with orders available on June 11.
- Instant TRIP during the summer will be available on the above Tuesdays in the TRIP office from 9:00-10:30.
- Regular weekly TRIP will resume September 3, and Instant TRIP will move back to Friday on September 6.
- Swimming lessons for kids ages 5-10. $48.00 for 8 lessons: June 17-20 and 24-27. Held at an outdoor pool in Drenthe. Contact Rebecca #616-886-6150 or Abi: firstname.lastname@example.org
- West Coast Eyecare Optical Sales: Part-time 20-35 hours/week 2-4 days. Duties include sales and styling of glasses frames and lenses, adjusting and repairing glasses as needed, greeting customers, processing sales transactions and vision insurance benefits, miscellaneous light clerical and administrative duties. Contact name: Dr. Kate Mulder DeJonge email@example.com P: 616-395-2020
- Registration for Messiah’s IRC Choir Camp, June 10-14, for students having completed 1st-8th grades closes MAY 10. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org Info and registration at www.messiahs-irc.org Space is limited, so don’t miss out on this opportunity!
Volleyball Camp at HC We can’t wait to play volleyball with you this summer! Holland Christian offers summer volleyball camp for girls entering 3rd – 5th grades and entering 6th-8th grades during the week of June 24. Follow this link to register online! https://www.hollandchristian. org/summer-camps/#June-24-28
- New at HC this summer - BOYS volleyball camp! Led by Holland Christian JV volleyball coach Gerrit Van Klaveren. . We want you to learn to love the game too! Questions? Contact Gerrit VanKlaveren at email@example.com https://www.hollandchristian.org/summer-camps/
- 5th Annual Good Sam's Wild Run! Kids ages 4-13 will maneuver obstacles designed by local companies and will be able to vote for their favorite obstacle at the end of the run. Saturday, June 8 at Ridgepoint Community Church. Register HERE
- City on a Hill has an opening for the position of Director of its ATLAS program. It is a salaried position- expected hours per week is 30-35. This person must be an excellent communicator and a committed Christian whose life gives evidence of this. Benefits include paid vacation, paid holidays and employer match to employee IRA contributions. Interested persons should submit a resume to Gary Ellens, COAH Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Howard Miller Library Summer Reading Program 2019 June 10 – Aug. 3 Registration begins Monday, June 10 with our kick-off party @ 10:00 AM featuring BenJammin’ the Musician!FREE programs & prizes for all ages, birth through those entering the 12th grade www.hmpl.org
Ridgeview Landscaping offers a complete landscape package including design, installation, and maintenance.
If your business or organization is interested in being featured in ZCS's weekly Blue Note, please email Peter Jenkins, Dir. of Advancement.