Our leadership team has been working hard the last two months to fill teaching vacancies for the coming school year. We recognize that the most important decisions we make are regarding who we choose to teach your children every day, so we start our process early and pursue passionate, talented, godly teachers who find joy in their work.
While we still have a couple of positions to fill for next year, we are excited to announce these teachers who were recently approved by the Education Committee for next year:
- Ruth Capestany, Young 5s Spanish Immersion. Ruth is a former immersion teacher at ZCS and a current ZCS mom. Ruth began in this role last month, and we are excited to officially announce her hiring.
- Leigh Ann Arnold, Kindergarten. While Leigh Ann is already teaching kindergarten for us as a long-term substitute this year, we are happy to welcome her for next year. Leigh Ann is also a ZCS mom.
- Rachel Damstra (partnering with Mrs. Leenstra), 3rd Grade. We are excited to welcome Rachel back to ZCS! Rachel taught 4th grade prior to stepping away this year with the birth of her daughter.
- Andrew Rush, 4th Grade. Andrew graduates from Calvin College next month. He’s worked many summers at Maranatha Bible and Missionary Conference, where he currently serves as the Lower Elementary Program Leader.
- Annaliese Vander Baan, 5th Grade. We are excited to welcome Annaliese back to ZCS! Annaliese formerly taught at ZCS and currently teaches 5th grade at Barrington Christian Academy in Rhode Island.
- Chuck Commeret, Middle School Principal. Mr. Commeret will be teaching classes in 6th grade as well as serving as the middle school principal.
- Zuri Suero-Lepper, 6th Grade. We are excited to welcome Zuri back to ZCS! Zuri taught at ZCS for many years and currently teaches 2nd grade in Alabama.
- Ben Kapenga, 7th Grade Science and Social Studies. Ben is currently teaching 7th grade as a long-term substitute, and we are excited to officially welcome him for next year. Ben is a ZCS dad and the owner of Total Focus Driving School.
- Paul Keyser, 8th Grade Math, and Science. Paul brings nearly 40 years of teaching experience to ZCS, with much of his experience in 8th-grade math and science. Paul is currently teaching 5th grade at ZCS in a long-term substitute role.
Parents, we get amazing teaching candidates at ZCS. We had dozens of great candidates for every open position, and for every great teacher we hired, we interviewed many great choices who we had to turn away. ZCS attracts these great candidates because of the unique culture that exists here, and this culture starts with the school and parents working together for our children to grow to be men and women of God.
We thank God for sending these incredible teachers our way!
Head of School
Snow Day Update: The Education Committee made the decision not to make up for the missed school days due to snow. The last day of school will be a full day of school on June 6th as originally scheduled.
Continuous Enrollment forms are now PAST DUE. Please make sure you have completed the following for enrollment for the 2019-2020 school year. If you have not completed, please complete as soon as possible.
- OPTS (One Page Tuition Form): This is the white form with your tuition numbers on. You would have either picked-up from the office or would have received in the mail from us. Please sign and return.
- Gold Transportation Forms: These would have come with your OPTS. Please sign and return.
- Continuous Enrollment Form: This is an online form that you would have received in an email on or around March 4th. Please complete this Continuous Enrollment Form.
Busing Alert: NO PM Busing on Friday, April 19
Thank you to all the families who signed up to participate in Betsy Sneller's language learning experiments - you helped contribute to science! It was great to work with ZCS kids, getting data on how kids learn patterns in language. We're continuing to run more subjects on this project back in D.C. - you can follow along with our progress at https://cbpr.georgetown.edu/researchlabs/learningdevelopmentlab.
Auction Report: On behalf of school leadership, thank you to everyone who attended the auction on Friday night. We are still receiving donations, but currently, stand at $91,000+ for the night! Thank you for giving generously and being an active member of the ZCS Society.
THANK YOU to all the volunteers who helped set-up, serve food, and work in the kitchen during Auction 2019. You were a great team! THANK YOU, also, to the parents who donated food items and money. Your generosity helped to make our Auction Dinner a great success!
Destination Imagination: We are pleased to inform you that all three ZCS teams did a fantastic job presenting their solutions to the appraisers this past Saturday at MSU. One of our elementary teams and our middle school team took 5th place with the other elementary team taking 2nd place which earned them an opportunity to compete at the Globals tournament in Kansas City in May. Way to go, DI kids!
The application window for TUITION ASSISTANCE for the 2019-2020 school year is now open. Go the ZCS homepage, click on ENROLLMENT, scroll down to FINANCIAL AID, and click on TUITION ASSISTANCE. You will be directed to the FACTS website where you can sign in if you are a returning applicant or register if you are new to the system. You may apply through Monday, April 22. Questions? Contact Mike Arendsen, Director of Finance and Operations at email@example.com or 879-0312.
Spring Parade of Bands: Spring has sprung, and that means our final music concerts of the year are coming! Our band program will kick things off this Monday, April 22, with a Spring Band Concert in the ZCS gym. All band students from grades 5 to 8 will appear, and perform a wonderful variety of music, from symphonic classics to movie themes and toe-tapping marches! The program begins at 7 p.m. Free admission, but please note: a freewill offering will be taken for the support of music at ZCS. We hope to see you there!
Totally FREE Car Wash: Saturday, April 27 from 9am-noon (rain or shine) in the parking lot by Dollar General and The Foundry. Yes, it is free! We will not take donations at the car wash. 7th-grade students are collecting pledges for each car washed, so we need you to drive through! The pledges will be used to support Grace Community Christian School in the Philippines, microfinance projects in Africa, and incidental expenses for the family of a ZCS student in 7th grade battling cancer. Tell your neighbors!
School Home Collaborative Information Night: An information meeting will be held on Thursday, April 18 at 7:00 PM for parents interested in learning more about the School/Home Collaborative (SHC) program. We will meet in the SHC classroom-follow the signs from the ZCS main entrance. Parents will learn about: *The Kdg-5th grade multi-age format *Specials classes (PE, music, art, etc.) *The one-to-one laptop program *Online and traditional curriculum. Please share this information with other families interested in learning more about ZCS or the SHC program! YOU are a valuable link to the community! For additional info, contact Julie Walters, at 772-2609 or firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a visit or a time to meet. Also, like us on Facebook at School/Home Collaborative at Zeeland Christian School.
Middle School Physicals: All middle school students who will be participating in Middle School Sports during the 2019-2020 school year must have an updated sports physical. Physicals must be dated after April 15, 2019. Form: https://www.zcs.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/PPE_form_-_HC-ZC_MS_-_pdf.pdf
ZCS Physicals will be offered at City on a Hill $10 on April 20 *more time slots have been opened!*: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a0b4caeaa22a64-zcssports
Holland Christian Physicals will be given Tuesday, April 30 from 6:30-9:00 PM at South Washington Family Medicine (Lakeshore Health Partners, 904 Washington Ave., #210) for $15. For a simple and quick appointment, please click on this link. Please note: Students must complete the physical form, signed by themselves and a parent, before their appointment with the doctor.
Expand(ED) Language Camps! Students (ages 4-8) have the opportunity to attend a Spanish Camp this summer and 1st-5th graders have a Mandarin Camp available. Both camps can be for students who are in the immersion program or who might be interested in learning more about a different language! To register and see all the options, please visit this website.
Mark Your Calendar for FUN NIGHT! Friday, May 3 from 5:30-8:00 p.m. Come for a great time of games, food, and fun! Come support the 8th-grade fundraiser!
ZCS Employment Opportunities: We are excited to have more people join our school staff next year. We have a variety of openings for assistants next year in preschool, support services, and extended care. Positions can be as small as two half days a week or almost full time, sometimes with a combination of hours across programs. The pay is hourly, and positions follow the school year schedule. A background in education or another child-related field is desired, but it is not required. If you, or anyone you know, is interested, please send a resume to email@example.com.
April 18: SHC Information Meeting *Prospective Families*
April 19: NO PM Busing *Hot Lunch will be served*
April 22: Spring Parade of Bands
April 27: 7th Grade Totally Free Car Wash
May 3: Fun Night
May 8: ½ Day *Tulip Time* Busing available AM and PM
May 9: NO PM Busing *Hot Lunch will be served*
May 10: NO PM Busing *Hot Lunch will be served*
May 18: ZCS Zip
May 20: Middle School Spring Choral Concert
ZCS Google Calendar: Stay up to date by subscribing to the ZCS Google Calendar!
Pig in a Blanket: FRESHLY MADE! Traditional and flaky Pig options are available for $10 per dozen. Purchase your pigs in the office and pick up in the hallway freezer.
Drop Off/Parking: Please be aware of the marked drop off spots in the front of the school during drop off and pick up. These spots are for drop off only. These are NO Parking zones. LINK to parking/drop off
School Delays/Cancellations: When Zeeland Public is delayed or canceled due to weather or other circumstances, Zeeland Christian is canceled as well. Delay/Cancellation information is available on most local tv and radio stations. You may also choose to receive text alerts via stations such as wzzm or woodtv. Sign up for alerts from ZPS at http://www.zps.org/z-for-me/
Hot Lunch Menu: Stay up to date with the current hot lunch menu: https://www.zps.org/parents/food-service/
Electronic Guest/Parent sign in and out is now up and running in the front office. All parents and guests need to go through a one-time registration process to be recognized in the sign in system. Please allow a few extra minutes to register when you come to school next. We are excited for all our parents and guest to use this new system!
New to TRIP: Vee's Grill online and on Instant TRIP. $10 certificates at 9%.
If you have a TRIP order to pick up you may come into school on Friday between 11:00am - 1:00pm as well as on Tuesday from 10:30-4:00.
If you are having TRIP sent home with an elementary student, please update your profile to show the classroom teacher of your child. https://shop.shopwithscrip.com/Account/Profile
Instant TRIP Fridays 11:00-1:00 in the main office. If the school is not in session/snow day on Friday, there is no Instant TRIP.
The Summer TRIP dates are June 11 & 25, July 9 & 23 and August 6 & 20.
All online orders are due by 11:00 on the above dates.
They will be available on the next TRIP Tuesday. TRIP will be available for pick up on the TRIP weeks listed on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday until 1:00pm in the front office.
(Remember if you pay with PrestoPay that the money is deducted from your account the day you place your order)
There will be TRIP on June 4 with orders available on June 11.
Instant TRIP during the summer will be available on the above Tuesdays in the TRIP office from 9:00-10:30.
Regular weekly TRIP will resume September 3, and Instant TRIP will move back to Friday on September 6.
- Hi ZCS families! My name is Elise Laarman. I'm a high school senior heading to Calvin to study education. I'm looking for a summer babysitting/nannying job. Full time (or close to it) needed. I would love to meet your kids! Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kirk Cousins Middle School Football Camp: Kirk is excited to be running his middle school camp again this summer! Kirk has designed his camp to be about building character and having fun while enjoying the game of football. The camp will be held at Hope College on June 28 & 29. Kirk and his dad will also be speaking at a dad's/guardian lunch on June 29. You can register at kirkcousins.org.\
- Join Living Threads on a day trip to Shipshewana on Monday, May 6. Cardinal Coach leaves City On A Hill at 7:30 am and returns at 7:30 pm. Cost is $80 (includes 2 meals). Contact: email@example.com (or call 748-6515) to register.
- The Arts Council is rolling out a handful of summer camps for kids. Find their offerings in this link: Holland Area Arts Council
- CHOIR CAMP is open for REGISTRATION! June 10-14 9:00am–12:00pm Messiah’s Independent Reformed Church 4528 48th St. Holland 49423 This is a fantastic, fun, free, opportunity for kids having completed 1st-8th grades in the 2018-19 school year to learn choral skills as they sing scripture-based songs to our Lord. Each morning consists of group singing sessions, exciting theme-related scripture talks and object lessons during chapel time, Bible memory, appropriate grade level practical classroom instruction, recreational activities, refreshments, and other surprises which all culminate in a program on Friday night for family and friends. Further details and registration at www.messiahs-irc.org Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org