When I left the auction Friday night and before I knew how much money was raised I was more grateful than ever for the ZCS Society (parents, grandparents, community supporters, alumni, and business supporters). What a blessing it was to have so many show up in support of Zeeland Christian. One story, in particular, has stuck with me.
We encouraged all who participated financially in the auction to round up their invoice to the nearest hundred. One family had a bill of $240 and decided to round up to $5,000. A few other last-minute donations have brought our updated total raised to $117,000! This amount shatters our previous record of just over $100,000 two years ago.
Thank you to everyone who participated, and a special thank you to our Auction Committee, Natalie Huizenga, Steve and Kathy Langeland, Dan and Tonya Mannes, Chris and Laurie Weirda and ZCS Fundraising Coordinator, Jennifer Schafer for hours and hours of work they put into the auction each year.
Every tuition dollar paid or dollar donated is ultimately spent on teaching and influencing our students and families to Love God, Love Kids, and Love Learning. What a joy to give to this purpose and what a joy to witness a community of generous givers. Thank you.
Head of School
THANK YOU to all the volunteers who helped set-up, serve food, and work in the kitchen during Auction 2018. You were a great team! THANK YOU, also, to the parents who donated food items and money. Your generosity helped make our Auction Dinner a great success! The auction raised $117,000+! Praise be to God.
Smart Tuition 2018-2019: Parents, if you have not received your Smart Tuition enrollment email or need it resent, please contact Mike Arendsen or Linda Keen in the Finance Office to confirm your email address. If you have questions, please contact Mike Arendsen, Director of Finance and Operations at 879-0312.
Expand(ED): Introducing ZCS' Summer Running Club! Twice a week practices begin mid-July for the David Warsen Legacy 5K on Saturday, August 11. Practices will be Tuesday and Thursdays from 10:00-11:00 and will consist of a variety of games and activities to build endurance and community. The running club is open to boys and girls, incoming 4th-8th graders. Sign up for this or other summer Expand(ED) programs here.
HCHS News: Happy Sprinter! Crazy weather so let's think about summer to help us all warm up. This summer, HC will be offer a variety of camp opportunities for kids of all ages (and some for adults) during each of the eight weeks of summer. Sports camps, Art and academic camps, Drama, Spanish, and a slew of other types of camps. Check them out at this link and get your kids registered soon. Come on Summer! We're ready for you. - Darryl De Ruiter, HCHS Principal
Parents...did you hear about our Young Authors Celebration? Joel Meyer engaged the students with creative writing, music, and art. He encouraged and motivated us in writing and music, simply by sharing the process of how he created his writings and music. It was a fun-filled afternoon, motivating our students to write, create, and use our writer's voice! He reminded us that ideas to write about are everywhere! Thank you, Mr. Meyer, for sharing your creative talent with us! Mr. Meyer has self published two music CDs. Pass It On Bible Jams and Pass It On Learning Jams. CDs can be purchased in the ZCS Office for $10 each.
The Week Ahead
April 24: Our Spring Concert is coming! Don't miss your last chance to hear our 7th and 8th grade music students in their final concert performance of the year. Both the band and choir will share songs we have been learning this semester. You will enjoy hearing pop favorites, songs from Broadway, and contemporary worship music as well as traditional and gospel styles. Join us for a fun hour of great music on Tuesday, April 24. The concert begins promptly at 7 p.m. Admission is free! A freewill offering will be received for the ZCS Music Department.
April 27: 7th and 8th Grade Band Trip
April 28: Totally FREE Car Wash: Saturday, April 28 from 9am-noon (rain or shine) in the parking lot by Dollar General and The Foundry. Yes, it is free! We will not take donations at the car wash. 7th grade students are collecting pledges for each car washed, so we need you to drive through! The pledges will be used to support Grace Community Christian School in the Philippines. Tell your neighbors!
The Month Ahead
May 4: Mark Your Calendar for FUN NIGHT! Friday, May 4 from 5:15-8:00 PM Come for a great time of games, food and fun! Come support the 8th Grade Fundraiser
May 9: ½ Day (Tulip Time)
May 10 & 11: NO PM Busing and NO Hot Lunch
May 15: 5th & 6th Grade Band and Choir Concert
May 19: ZCS Zip
June 6: NO AM Busing for Middle School
June 7: Last Day of School NO AM Middle School Busing. NO PM Elementary Busing
2017-2018 ZCS Parent Handbook: The ZCS Parent Handbook contains information such as school start times, cancellations and delays, calendar, dress code, hot lunch information, etc. It can be found on the ZCS Parents page.
Pigs in a Blanket make a delicious dinner or appetizer. $10 per dozen
School Delays/Cancellations: When Zeeland Public is delayed or canceled due to weather or other circumstances, Zeeland Christian is canceled as well. Delay/Cancellation information is available on most local tv and radio stations. You may also choose to receive text alerts via stations such as wzzm or woodtv. Sign up for alerts from ZPS at http://www.zps.org/z-for-me/
Infinite Campus: To access your student’s grades parents must have a login to the Infinite Campus Parent Portal. If you do not have a login please complete the acceptable use policy, and return it to the ZCS office to receive your login credentials.
Attendance: Please report your child absent or tardy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 616-741-0051. Please list your student’s name, teacher and the reason for absence.
ditto upscale resale: Spring is in the air and that means spring flowers, house cleaning, and garage sales. Please consider donating your used furniture, household items, and clothing to ditto upscale resale in support of our mission of reducing the costs of Christian Education for our families in the Zeeland and Holland area.
All orders must be placed online! www.shopwithscrip.com. Tuesday TRIP runs as usual on a snow day. If you pay by check and think there may be a snow day, drop off your check early. Instant TRIP is on Friday from 11-1PM in the Main Office. Instant TRIP is canceled if is there is a snow day.
- Faith Church Mom2Mom Sale: Vendors and Sellers invited to join us on April 21 to sell gently used kids clothing, toys, accessories and large items as well as vendor or craft items. Sellers/Vendors:12x6 Booths (some with electricity) are available. Please check out this link https://goo.gl/forms/GztZny2qG9nWe0TB3 to register. All booths are $35 (Members of Faith Church get a $5 discount on booth rental). Sellers pay only the $35 fee and keep all profits made that day. T
- Silver Lake, Mears, MI Condo for sale by owner on beautiful Silver Lake. Two bedrooms, one bath, 550 sq. feet. Please call 616-886-8810or email email@example.com for more information.
- Post Family Farm in Hudsonville is looking to hire energetic ADULTS for seasonal work this spring and fall (May, September and October). Opportunities include donut makers, tour guides, after school and Saturday festival workers. Donut making involves working with several others in our bakery making donuts, filling orders and running the cash register. T No previous experience is required for any position. Work days and hours are very flexible to fit your schedule. Please contact Julie at Post Family Farm, if you have any interest in working in a fun, farm atmosphere. Phone – 616/669-1964, email – firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Royal Atrium Inn Assisted Living: Now hiring for a part-time nurse (LPN/RN) to work in our Care Office. Please call 772-2935 if interested.
- National Day of Prayer Gathering: May 3, 2018 at Noon on the steps of City Hall in Zeeland. 21 S. Elm
- Career Camp for Current 6th-9th Students: Check out the amazing summer Career Camp opportunities offered by the OAISD for our students! The registration link will open May 1st.